Paying it Forward


Struggles from the very start of life can be insurmountable, but determination to turn things around can lead you right where you need to be.  When Raeleene found Maple House, she discovered truly compassionate people who taught her to make a change.  They showed her the path she could be on to pay it forward and help others make that same change for a better life.

Raeleene was only three years old when her father passed away.  Her mother struggled with a heroin addiction forcing Raeleene to live with her grandmother.  As a young girl, Raeleene rebelled against her family and began abusing drugs at the age of fifteen.  She was in and out of juvenile hall in San Bernardino through adolescence and continued battling a drug addiction through adulthood.  She smoked and injected meth for years, even once she became a mother.  It was a constant struggle to care for two young children (now ages 6 and 3) while dealing with a severe drug addiction. 
“I was falling apart, homeless with my kids.”
Her daughter went to live with her mother because the experience of living in and out of motels frightened her.  She kept her son with her as she went through the daily motions of abusing drugs, avoiding the police and finding a place to stay each night.  She knew she had to make a change.
“We didn’t need to be sitting outside restaurants hoping someone would give us food.  I had to snap myself out of what I was going through.”
Finally, Raeleene made her way to Cedar House.  She was able to move into Maple House with her two children, and they stayed there for ninety days while she went through treatment. 
“The structure kept me in check.  The classes really caught my attention and helped me dig deep.”
Raeleene is committed to staying clean.  She graduated from Cedar House, went to aftercare meetings and says she never wants to go back to her previous lifestyle.  She credits her new life to the staff at Maple House. 
“I could always be myself with them. I owe all my success to them.”
Her dedication to recovery is paying off.  Raeleene has been clean for more than a year and lives in transitional housing as a house manager where she is able to help other women every day.
“This is such a blessing to me.”
Raeleene’s plan is to enroll in school and study to become a drug counselor. 
“My goal is to work at Maple House to help them like they helped me.”