Understanding the Condition


Addiction is a complex condition. It is a brain disease often manifested by compulsive substance use despite the harmful consequences.

For Stacy, one of the most beneficial parts of her treatment at Cedar House was the education she received about her addiction.  It was important for her to gain an understanding of her condition so she could learn to effectively combat it.

Stacy was introduced to cocaine at the age of thirteen.  With problems at home and an absent parent, she was impressionable and fragile.  Before her fourteenth birthday, she had moved on to meth. 

The downward spiral continued for years as her addiction took over all aspects of her life.  She was homeless; staying in run-down, abandoned houses, and felt completely helpless and desperate.  At that point, CFS took her children away, and she was left with nothing.
“I couldn’t bring myself to put the needle down and get help.”

But Stacy was blessed with a good friend who recommended Cedar House.  When she initially called, she did a phone screen but never followed up.  After learning that her children would be adopted out through CFS if she didn’t get clean, she decided to call Cedar House one more time.  A few days later she received a call from Cedar House telling her there was a bed available.  Stacy arrived at noon the next day ready to make a change.
“I was tired of having nothing, subjecting myself to things I didn’t need to go through. I was tired of the streets. I was tired of having to use drugs to function.”

Stacy spent three months at Cedar House.  During that time, her case manager helped her to work through some serious issues and to better understand her condition.
“I liked that I got to learn about my addiction and see I wasn’t the only one.”

Her willingness to learn made her treatment that much more effective.  She benefited immensely from her trauma group meetings, and the group sessions she was able to attend with her family in the evenings. While at Cedar House she also got started on the classes she needed for her CFS case and had a chance to participate in the Children's Program at the Betty Ford Center with her child.
“The best part of my recovery is that I’m a mother now. I’m a productive member of society. I wouldn’t be any of that without my recovery.”

Today, Stacy is proud to be an example for other women. She says that she has done more for herself in the 23 months since she has been sober than she has in her entire life.
“I’ve learned tools and know I don’t have to use no matter what!” 


Visit our website and like us on Facebook to learn more about what Cedar House does for people like Stacy in our community!


MAKE A DONATION